Copyright is the right to copy.  Federal law grants to the copyright owner the exclusive right to copy (copying being defined very broadly to include not just making copies but arranging, recording, performing, etc.).  Those who wish to make such uses of copyrighted music must obtain permission from the copyright owner (publisher) or its representative. Contact the Licensing and Copyright Department


If you wish to record one of our copyrighted publications, you must obtain what is known as a Mechanical License. Licenses may be obtained from:

The Harry Fox Agency: 711 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017

A license should be requested directly from our Licensing and Copyright Department for Canadian or International licensing.  Your written request should include:

  • The name of the individual or organization and street address to appear on the license
  • Title, composer, arranger (if any), and catalog number of the publication (if known)
  • Duration of the recording (per work)
  • Artist/Performer of the recording
  • Title of the album
  • Number of copies of the recording
  • Record number (if any)


If you wish to make an arrangement of one of our copyrighted works, you must submit a written request for permission via email to the Licensing and Copyright Department.  Be sure to get our permission BEFORE you being your work.  Such permissions are not automatic; there may be compelling legal or business reasons which would force us to deny your request.  Also, it is a violation of the U.S. Copyright Act to prepare such an arrangement without permission even if it is not performed. Email us here for assistance